Thursday, June 8, 2017

Driving Down Memory Lane

Starkville, Mississippi to Little Rock, Arkansas – 402 miles

After spending the afternoon with Braden we loaded up and started our journey to Little Rock.  This was a little trip down memory lane for both Al and myself. This leg of our trip took us through Memphis – where both of us attended college – across the Mighty Mississippi, through the rice fields of Arkansas and into North Little Rock.

As we crossed familiar ground, we remembered several stories from our past –

1.     When crossing the Mississippi I couldn’t help remember the summer trips I took with my childhood friend, Becki Finkbeiner to Michigan. Every time we crossed the Mississippi we were challenged to hold our breath. Of course her father would go extra slow as we climbed the tall bridge and crossed over to the other state,
2.     I also remembered the year I interned at Memphis in May International Festival my senior year in college. I could see Noel and me standing in the rain watching Ray Charles perform right there on the banks of the Mississippi. A few days later, we were standing on the wings watching history as Stevie Rae Vaughan played one of his very last concerts before he died in a helicopter accident.
3.     After crossing the bridge we passed the spot where Al and I had a flat tire on our way back to Rhodes. I had just had surgery on my knee and Al was nice enough to drive me back to Memphis. Our flat happened right before crossing the i-40 bridge across the Mississippi.
4.     As we crossed the White River, I shared how I sat on the interstate in a standstill for over 2 ½ hours because a truck had jackknifed on the bridge. Now that was a time I wished I was in a RV with a bathroom!

The amount of times I have driven between Little Rock and Memphis have been numerous but one thing has never changed – the road is very well traveled and ALWAYS under construction!

Upon arriving to North Little Rock we made our way to Mimi and Big Al’s house (Al’s parents) for our traditional arrival meal of U.S. Pizza. Mimi was so kind to have the food waiting for us. She even baked her homemade bread, picked up Mexico Chiquito cheese dip and made butterscotch cookies for our trip!

After filling our bellies we headed across town to the banks of the Arkansas River where we laid our heads down for the night.



June 9, 2017

At 6:00 AM my alarm clock woke us.  The whole family got ready and went out for our morning exercise – 2.2 miles of run/walking on the River Trail.  We crossed over the river into Little Rock on the Clinton Library Bridge and returned on the Junction Bridge.  I remember many evenings walking out on this bridge and dangling my feet out over the edge. At that time it was just a railroad bridge; now it has been converted into a pedestrian crossing.

A Hog Family for Life! 

On top of Junction Bridge, Little Rock, 


Found this lock on the bridge - A & K <3

 
After our exercise session it was time for Blake and me to head to our very first National Park of our trip – Little Rock Central High School. 


Don't see these types of gas stations anymore!

LRCH has a special place not only in the history books but also in my heart.  I graduated from here in 1986.  Blake and I enjoyed our visit to the Visitor’s Center and even had a chance to walk into the school.  Many memories of my high school days came back as we climbed the front steps.



Little Rock Central is on the Historic Registry as well as being named a National Park.  It is one of the most beautiful schools in the nation!
I shared with Blake how we only had five minutes to get from class to class. It didn’t matter if the classrooms were on opposite sides of the building you still only had five minutes.  Needless to say, there was some fast walking going on!  I also told Blake about homecoming games at Little Rock Central. I was a Hi-Stepper and we used to march with the cheerleaders and band down the street and into the stadium. Those were fun times!

As we walked into the school we entered the auditorium. Blake was amazed at how big it was. I shared with him that Jesse Jackson was the speaker of our Baccalaureate Ceremony right t here in the auditorium.  Of course, Blake didn’t really know who Jesse Jackson was so that warranted a conversation within itself.

There are lots of memories of times at this very historic school where I walked the halls with every walk of life – rich and poor, black, white, Hispanic, and Asian. All this was made possible because of the historic event of 1957 when nine very courageous African Americans walked into the school. Yes, it took several attempts before they were successful but after President Eisenhower sent the 101 Infantry to protect the Little Rock Nine, LRCH became one of the greatest schools in the United States – rich in history and tradition. I am glad I was able to share this today with Blake.

The Capital Building in Little Rock is a smaller replica of the U.S. Capital Building in Washington D.C.  Blake and I had to quickly drive past to grab a picture in front. 


Lunch today was shared with family – Al’s parents and my mom and brother joined us at Flying Fish in the River Market. It was a great time to be together before we head out west.

The end of our day in Little Rock came to an end with a quick trip into the Clinton Presidential Library.  What a great opportunity for Blake to see Little Rock in a different light – not only a place where his grandparents live but a place rich in history of our country!


Next stop: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

No comments:

Post a Comment